Keeping Ballerina Up to Date
This guide explains how to maintain your Ballerina installation up to date with the latest patch and minor releases.
- Keeping Ballerina Up to Date
- The “active” Distribution
- The ‘ballerina dist’ Command
- Update to the Latest Patch Version
- List Local and Remote Distributions
- Remove Distributions
- Change the Active Distribution
- Pull a Specific Distribution
- Update the Ballerina Tool
If you haven’t installed Ballerina yet, see the Installing Ballerina.
This section introduces various terms used throughout this guide. We recommend that you read this section before proceeding to the next.
The Ballerina Tool
Ballerina is a command-line tool for managing Ballerina source code. It helps you to manage Ballerina projects and modules, test, build and run programs, etc.
It also enables you to easily install, update and switch among Ballerina distributions. The main focus of this guide is to teach you how, but first, let’s talk about Ballerina distributions.
- The language specification defines the syntax and semantics of Ballerina programming language. Ballerina compiler is a software program that validates the Ballerina source code and translates it to an executable program. There exist a production-ready official compiler called jBallerina. We also have a plan to do a native compiler called nBallerina.
- Ballerina compiler that targets the JVM.
- The most stable and production-ready compiler.
- Ballerina compiler that targets platforms such as Linux, Windows and Mac OS.
- Not available yet.
Ballerina distribution is a term that we use to refer to jBallerina and nBallerina compilers.
Ballerina distributions are released on two different release channels at the moment: patch releases and minor releases. Both these channels distribute stable versions. We don’t yet have a release channel for nightly builds that give you access to the latest, perhaps unstable features.
Ballerina distribution releases strictly follow SemVer with major.minor.patch version numbers.
Patch Release Channel
This channel gives you access to patch releases of Ballerina distributions that contain bug fixes and fixes for critical stability and security issues. These releases are strictly time-bound and happen every two weeks. Occasionally, you would see on-demand patch releases as well.
Example patch releases: jballerina-1.0.6, jballerina-1.1.5, jballerina-1.1.10
Minor Release Channel
This channel gives you access to feature releases of Ballerina distributions. Ballerina programs that you’ve written today should continue to work on these minor releases.
Example minor releases: jballerina 1.1.0, jballerina 1.2.0, jballerina 1.3.0
- We maintain a minor release 1.x.0 by issuing a series of patch releases 1.x.y. The maintenance of a particular minor release stops when there are two newer minor releases available.
- In other words, patch releases for jBallerina 1.x.0 stop when jBallerina 1.(x+2).0 is released. E.g., when jBallerina 1.2 is available, we stop maintaining jBallerina 1.0.0.
Keeping Ballerina Up to Date
Now that you are familiar with the terminology, let’s look at how you can keep your Ballerina distributions up to date.
- The first step is to install Ballerina. Visit our installation guide guide for details. Once the installation is complete, you would see the following directory structure inside the installation directory.
. ├── bin/ │ └── ballerina ├── lib/ │ └── ballerina-command-0.8.0.jar ├── dependencies/ │ └── jdk8u202-b08-jre/ └── distributions/ ├── ballerina-version ├── jballerina-1.0.5/ ├── jballerina-1.1.0/ └── jballerina-1.1.1/
“distributions” is the directory where we maintain all your installed distributions.
The “active” Distribution
- One only distribution from the above list can be active at a given time.
- The Ballerina Tool delegates most of the user requests to the active distribution. The commands such as build, test, run, pull, and push are delegated to the active distribution, while the commands such as dist and version are handled by the tool itself. E.g., when you invoke
ballerina build, the Ballerina Tool dispatches this request to the active distribution.
- You can change the active distribution at any time. Refer the Change the active distribution section for more details.
The ‘ballerina dist’ Command
The Ballerina Tool comes with various subcommands to help you manage Ballerina source code. The
ballerina dist and
ballerina update commands are the ones that will be explained in this guide. The
ballerina dist command allows you to manage Ballerina distributions whereas the
ballerina update command updates the tool itself.
The dist command has few other subcommands. Here is the output of
ballerina help dist.
→ ballerina help dist NAME ballerina-dist - Manage Ballerina distributions SYNOPSIS ballerina dist <command> <-h | --help> ballerina dist <command> [<args>] DESCRIPTION Dist enables you to install, update, and switch among Ballerina distributions from patch and minor release channels. OPTIONS -h, --help Print usage details of a command. BALLERINA COMMANDS Here is a list of available subcommands: update Update to the latest patch version of the active distribution pull Fetch a distribution and set it as the active version use Set a distribution as the active distribution list List locally and remotely available distributions remove Remove distributions in your local environment Use 'ballerina help dist <command>' for more information on a specific command.
Most of these subcommands are self-explanatory. Therefore, the following sections introduce them briefly.
Update to the Latest Patch Version
ballerina dist update command updates your active distribution to the latest patch version.
E.g., If the active distribution in your environment is “jballerina-1.1.0” and there exists patch version “jballerina-1.1.4” in our servers, this command will fetch and set it as the active distribution.
→ sudo ballerina dist update Fetching the latest patch distribution for 'jballerina-1.0.4' from the remote server... Fetching the 'jballerina-1.0.5' distribution from the remote server... Downloading jballerina-1.0.5 100% [==========================================================] 96/96 MB Successfully set the latest patch distribution 'jballerina-1.0.5' as the active distribution
List Local and Remote Distributions
ballerina dist list command lists the installed distributions in your local environment. It also lists the distributions available for you to download.
→ ballerina dist list Distributions available locally: jballerina-1.0.5 * jballerina-1.1.0 Distributions available remotely: jballerina-1.1.0 jballerina-1.0.0 jballerina-1.0.1 jballerina-1.0.2 jballerina-1.0.3 jballerina-1.0.4 Use 'ballerina help dist' for more information on specific commands.
The star (*) indicates the active distribution.
ballerina dist remove <distribution> command allows you to delete a particular distribution from your local environment. If you’ve been updating Ballerina regularly, you may have accumulated many unused distribution versions. This command helps you to clean them up.
→ ballerina dist remove jballerina-1.0.5 Distribution 'jballerina-1.0.5' successfully removed
Change the Active Distribution
ballerina dist use <distribution> command sets a particular distribution version as the active one. See the following workflow.
→ ballerina dist use jballerina-1.0.4 'jballerina-1.1.0' successfully set as the active distribution → ballerina dist list Distributions available locally: jballerina-1.1.0 jballerina-1.0.5 * jballerina-1.0.4 jballerina-1.0.0 …
Pull a Specific Distribution
ballerina dist pull <distribution> command downloads a particular distribution and stores it in your local environment. It also sets the fetched distribution as the active distribution.
For jBallerina 1.2.5 and Above (for Update Tool Version 0.8.8 and Above):
→ sudo ballerina dist pull 1.2.6 Fetching the 'jballerina-1.2.6' distribution from the remote server... Downloading jballerina-1.2.6 100% [==================================] 96/96 MB 'jballerina-1.2.6' successfully set as the active distribution
For Versions Below jBallerina 1.2.5 (for Update Tool Versions Below 0.8.8):
→ sudo ballerina dist pull jballerina-1.2.4 Fetching the 'jballerina-1.2.4' distribution from the remote server... Downloading jballerina-1.2.4 100% [==================================] 96/96 MB 'jballerina-1.2.4' successfully set as the active distribution
Update the Ballerina Tool
ballerina updatecommand updates the Ballerina Tool itself to the latest version. Ballerina Tool versions are independent of the distribution versions. We expect these tool updates to be rare compared to distribution releases.
→ ballerina update Fetching the latest version from the remote server... Downloading ballerina-command-0.8.1 Downloading ballerina-tool-0.8.1 100% [====================================] 1/1 MB Updated to latest tool version: 0.8.1 Cleaning old files... Ballerina Tool updated successfully