- Installing Ballerina via installers
- Installing via the Ballerina language ZIP file
- Installing from source
- Uninstalling Ballerina
- Getting help
- What’s next
Ballerina binary distributions are available for the following supported operating systems and architectures. Ensure that your system meets the requirements before you proceed with the installation.
- Windows Vista SP2 x64 or later
- Ubuntu Linux 12.04 x64 - LTS and above
- Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2 and above
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5 x64 and above
- OS X 10.8.3 x64 and above
Installing Ballerina via installers
Follow the below instructions to download and use the installers to install the latest Ballerina version. The installer will automatically uninstall the old Ballerina version if you have one already installed.
Info: If a binary distribution is not available for your combination of operating system and architecture, try installing from source.
Installing on OS X
Download the package file and double-click on it to launch the installer. The installer guides you through the installation process and installs the Ballerina distribution to
The package automatically sets your PATH environment variable for you. You may need to restart any open Terminal sessions for the change to take effect.
Installing on Windows
Download the MSI file and double-click on it to launch the installer. The installer guides you through the installation process and installs the Ballerina distribution to
The installer should put the
C:\Program Files\Ballerina\<ballerina-directory>\bin directory in your PATH environment variable. You may have to restart any open command prompts for the change to take effect.
Installing on Linux
Download the DEB file and double-click on it to launch the installer. The installer guides you through the installation process and installs the Ballerina distribution to
Info: Alternatively, you can use the below command to install Ballerina using the downloaded DEB file. Replace
<ballerina-home>/<ballerina-binary>.debwith the actual file path.
dpkg -i <ballerina-binary>.deb
Installing via the Ballerina language ZIP file
Note: Before you install Ballerina using the ZIP file, ensure that you have Java Development Kit (JDK) version 1.8 installed.
Download the Ballerina language ZIP file and unzip it to a preferred location using an archiver tool of your choice. This creates a directory named
ballerina-<version> in your system.
Follow one of the steps below depending on your operating system to configure your system environment to run Ballerina:
- If your operating system is Linux or Mac OS, set the PATH environment variable to point to the bin directory of the unzipped Ballerina distribution.
- If your operating system is Windows, add a new environment variable specifying the following values:
- Variable name: PATH
- Variable value: The location of the bin directory of the unzipped Ballerina distribution. For example,
Installing from source
Alternatively, follow the instructions below to install Ballerina from the source.
Setting up the prerequisites
You need to download and install the below to build the Ballerina modules.
- Java SE Development Kit (JDK) version 8 (from one of the following locations)
- Node.js (version 8.9.x or the latest LTS release)
- npm (version 5.6.0 or later)
Obtaining the source code
Follow the steps below to obtain the Ballerina source code.
Execute the below command to clone the ‘ballerina-lang’ source repository.
git clone --recursive https://github.com/ballerina-platform/ballerina-lang.git
Tip: If you have already forked the repository to your GitHub account, then execute the below command replacing
with your Git username.
git clone --recursive https://github.com/<YOUR-GITHUB-USERNAME>/ballerina-lang.git
Execute the below command to update the Git submodules.
git submodule update --init
Building the source
Follow the steps below to build the project of the obtained source.
Navigate to the root directory of the Ballerina repo (i.e.,
) and execute one of the below Gradle commands to build the project using Gradle.
- On Unix/Mac OS:
- On Unix/Mac OS:
Extract the built Ballerina distributions created in the below locations:
- runtime only:
- runtime and tools (e.g., Ballerina Language Server):
- runtime only:
Note: If you face an IOException error stating “Too many open files”, this is due to the default number of possible open files being set to a lower number on your operating system than required for Ballerina to be compiled. You may have to increase the number of open files/file descriptors (FD) on your operating system to 1000000 (or higher).
To remove an existing Ballerina installation, go to the Ballerina installation location and delete the Ballerina directory.
- If you installed Ballerina via an installer, the installation location is usually
/Library/Ballerinain Mac OS X,
/usr/lib/ballerina/in Ubuntu and
C:\Program Files\Ballerina\in Windows.
- If you have installed via RPM installer, you can use
rpm -e ballerina-<version>-1.x86_64command.
- If you installed Ballerina using the Ballerina language ZIP file, be sure to remove the Ballerina PATH environment variable that you set in your system environment.
To get help when you work with Ballerina, see the help page.
Once you have successfully installed Ballerina, try out the Quick Tour and take Ballerina for its first spin.